This Pizza Rolls recipe is a perfect and fun simple dinner that can be made any day of the week. To make this recipe, you can use store-bought pizza dough, and fill the filling with pizza sauce, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese. The Pizza Rolls are topped off with simple garlic butter and parmesan cheese. These rolls go perfectly with a salad.
When I was in college I lived off of cafeteria food, ramen noodles, PB&J sandwiches, Hot Pockets, and Tortino’s Pizza Rolls. Man, how I loved pizza rolls. Of course with this type of diet I gained beyond the “Freshman 15”, I gained the “Freshman 25”. Not to fear! I just lost 30! Only — to go. When you are a broke college student you eat what you can and what is cheap. Unfortunately, most of the food that is cheap is that gross over-processed food that is in the middle of the grocery store such as Hamburger Helper meals, Spam, hamburger patties, and, you guessed it, Tortino’s Pizza Rolls. I am not the healthiest person on the block, that is for sure, but I am more aware of what goes into my body now than in my college years.
As I have gotten older, I have learned to cook healthier and try to make meals from scratch of some of my childhood/ college favorites like Hamburger Helper and Sloppy Joes. Now, I am adding pizza rolls to that menu of dishes that I am learning to recreate. Sure it looks different, but they’re just as good and delicious. The best part of this recipe, like many of my recipes, is that it’s versatile.
How to make Homemade Pizza Rolls
If you ever made Homemade Cinnamon Rolls, then this recipe will be pretty simple for you to follow. All you’re going to do is the following:
- Roll out some store-bought pizza dough
- Spoon a layer of pizza sauce
- Add a little cheese and pepperoni or whatever your topics
- Roll it up and bake! Pretty simple, right?
The best part is the simple garlic butter that you brush on the pizza rolls before and after baking to add more of a pizza flavor. This is a dish people can personalize the way they want and can be made in less than 30 minutes!
Pizza Rolls Recipe
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
Make Homemade Pizza Rolls a perfect week-night dinner option for the family! Just fill with your desired fillings, top with cheese, and bake! For a complete meal, add a side salad!
- 1 can refrigerated pizza crust
- 1/2 c. pizza sauce
- 2 c. pepperoni
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 2 c. fresh mozzarella cheese or prepackaged (fresh mozzarella is much better)
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly flour your surface. Open the can of pizza dough and lay it out on the floured surface. Once you roll it out, it should already be perfectly rectangular.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly on the crust leaving about 1 inch of the edges uncovered. Sprinkle the oregano on top of the sauce.
- Begin to place the pepperoni over the sauce. Then spread the mozzarella cheese on top of the pepperoni. With the end of the pizza closest to you, begin to tightly roll the pizza toward the other end of the pizza. Some of the toppings will ooze out; just try to keep it all intact as much as you can.
- Once you have rolled the pizza into a log shape, with a sharp knife, cut the log into 1 1/2 inch thick slices making pizza rolls. You should get about 6 out of the log.
- In a 9 inch round pan or a cookie sheet, spray with nonstick spray. Place each pizza roll on top, and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- While the pizza rolls are baking, in a small bowl take the butter and with a hand grater, if you have one, grate the garlic into the bowl with the butter (if you do not have a hand grater and whatever you have should suffice). Add the oregano and stir in as well.
- Put the butter with the garlic in the microwave for 1 minute and once the butter is completely melted whisk to make sure that the garlic is evenly mixed and not in large chunks in the butter. If you are using unsalted butter you may sprinkle a little salt for added flavor.
- Once the pizza rolls are finished, take a pastry or silicone brush and brush the pizza rolls with the butter and serve!
You can also brush the rolls with a little of the butter before you put them in the oven too.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Main Dish
Keywords: pizza rolls, homemade pizza rolls, easy pizza rolls, pizza rolls recipe, recipe for pizza rolls
Leave a Reply