This Classic Sweet Potato Pie Recipe is made with fresh sweet potatoes and mixed with brown sugar and cinnamon. This dessert needs to be on the menu for your holiday dinner gatherings.
Enjoy this Sweet Potato Pie Recipe this holiday season with your friend and family. Serve with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream!
It is tradition, that Pumpkin Pie, Pecan Pie, and Apple Pie are the most popular desserts around the holidays. However, in my household, “must-have” Thanksgiving dessert is Sweet Potato Pie. I had it every holiday growing up and I assumed it was on the dinner and dessert tables of every family in America for the holidays until there was a holiday pot-luck at my current job some years back. Some of my co-workers and I were discussing what we were going to bring to the pot-luck.
After discussing several options, it was soon discovered that most of the people who I worked with never heard or HAD Sweet Potato Pie. I am not kidding when I tell you I thought it was a joke or something. Nope, it was true. Sweet Potato Pie was unheard of in most households. After discovering that information, my decision was easy as to what I was bringing to the pot-luck.
If only more people knew how awesome and decadent this pie was the world would be a better place! So I am doing the unthinkable. I am sharing my recipe (for my future children) with the rest of the world. This is typically how I make my Sweet Potato Pie for my family. Wondering how good this pie is? Let’s just say that I made two pies one year and the only pie that was leftover was the pumpkin. Not kidding.
I implore you–NO
I urge you–NO
I beg of you to try this pie. I promise that you will love it and if you are already a lover of Sweet Potato Pie and need a recipe, you will love me for this recipe. This pie is the beginning of my “My-grandmamma-cooks-better-than-your-grandmomma” legacy. You’ll love it. I’m eating it straight out of the dish.
Classic Sweet Potato Pie
- Total Time: 2 hours 5 mins
- Yield: 8-10 1x
This Classic Sweet Potato Pie recipe is made with fresh sweet potatoes, warm spices, and a touch of brown sugar to make the perfect bite!
- 1 Deep Dish Pie Crust or premade Pie crust
- 2 large sweet potato, baked
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees, rub the sweet potatoes with oil, and bake for 30-34 minutes.
- *If you are using a premade crust to place in your own pie dish, lightly flour the surface and roll out the crust on the surface. Roll the pie crust about 1/2 inch longer on all sides. Transfer the pie crust on top of your pie crust. Press the pie crust into the pie dish and pinch the edges. Discard the excess pie crust. Set in the freezer until ready to use.
- Remove the skin from the sweet potato after it has been baked. Place the sweet potatoes inside a large bowl. Using a mixer, blend the sweet potatoes smooth. Add the melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar and mix. Add the eggs one at a time, add the spices ( cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves), and the salt. Finally, add the milk and mix until smooth.
- Pour the pie mixture into a prepared pie pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until pie is set. Before placing the pie into the oven, place aluminum foil around the edges of the crust so the crust is light and flaky. Allow the pie to cool and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 mins
- Category: Dessert
Leave a Reply