You are not going to believe how easy and amazing this Hot Fudge Cake Recipe is to make. Simply use a cake box mix, make an easy filling, and top off with delicious hot fudge and you’re done!
This Hot Fudge Cake recipe takes very little ingredients but tastes like it took hours!
You guys know I am the queen for quick, easy, fast, and amazing dishes. Especially with a small infant, I have to find shortcuts for everything. Although I hardly ever have time to sit down to enjoy a full meal nowadays, when I do I have to make sure it is delicious and amazing. One of my favorite desserts is Hot Fudge Cake. I have had Crockpot Hot Fudge Cake and the way it is served at a small-town restaurant here in Cincinnati called Frisch’s Big Boy.
Frisch’s Big Boy is a small and inexpensive restaurant that serves homemade inspired comfort meals, wholesome breakfast dishes, and their amazing burger called the Big Boy Burger that is kind of like a McDonald’s Big Mac but with tartar sauce. Weird, I know but it is absolutely delicious and amazing. Frisch’s is that place you go to when you want a quick bite, but don’t have a lot of money yet want a satisfying meal. Aside from the Big Boy Burger, Frisch’s is also known for their famous Hot Fudge Cake. This chocolate cake recipe is made with two layers of decadent and moist chocolate cake with ice cream in the middle, topped with hot fudge! Oh me, oh my! It is super amazing. It is a huge chunk of chocolate goodness cake and it costs less than $5! It is perfect if you are on a budget. My version of this infamous cake is just as good and cost just as less per serving!
I mentioned earlier that the Hot Fudge Cake from Frisch’s Big Boy has ice cream in the middle. Well, I made mine with a vanilla cream filling instead. You know, kind of like a Hostess Chocolate Cupcake….cake! It still has the same flavors except you don’t have to worry about the ice cream melting and making a big mess. So if you want to make this and take it to a dinner with a jar of hot fudge this would be perfect! You can buy some ice cream and serve on the side but that is totally up to you. All you need is a box of chocolate cake mix, some butter, powdered sugar, and shortening and you have yourself a hot fudge cake! So, if you are looking for an economical and delicious dessert, you have one right here in this Hot Fudge Cake Recipe!
- 1 box Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake mix (including the necessary ingredients egg, water, oil)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c. shortening
- 6 c. powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Hot fudge sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees and spray a 9X13 rectangular casserole dish with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chocolate cake mix along with the required contents as instructed on the box (i.e. water, eggs, and oil). Pour in the prepared casserole dish and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick can be inserted in the middle of the cake and comes out clean. Once finished, turn to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- In a separate email, blend together the butter and shortening. Slowly mix in 1 cup of powdered sugar until well mixed. Add the vanilla extract and salt.
- Use a serrated knife and slice the cake in half. Place the bottom half of the cake back into the casserole/cake dish; use a rubber spatula and spread the cream filling onto the bottom half of the cake; place the top of the cake on top of the cream, and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or until ready to serve. Cut into desired square pieces and pour hot fudge sauce on each serving.